Re: Path for testharness resources [Was: Re: Seeking status of Infraware's Web Storage test submission]

On Thu 16 Feb 2012 03:46:12 PM CET, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed the files identified below have been deleted so thanks for
> making that change!
>
> I also noticed that in one of the changesets [1], the path to the
> testharness resources has been changed:
>
> [[
> - <script src="/resources/testharness.js"></script>
> - <script src="/resources/testharnessreport.js"></script>
> + <script src="../../resources/testharness.js"></script>
> + <script src="../../resources/testharnessreport.js"></script>
> ]]
>
> I believe a requirement for our test suites is to be able to directly
> run them (unmodified) from the W3C's test repository mirror:
>
> <http://w3c-test.org/>
>
> For instance, the following approved Web Core tests run "in place" in
> the mirror:
>
> <http://w3c-test.org/webapps/DOMCore/tests/approved/>
>
> As such, I think a consequence of this requirement is that reference
> to the testharness resources must use an absolute path and that means
> using one of:
>
> 1. <script src="/resources/testharness.js">
> 2. <script src="http://w3c-test.org/resources/testharness.js ">
>
> Would our active testing folks - e.g. Kris, James, Ms2ger, Aryeh, PLH
> - please confirm this requirement and the path that should be used?

I think 1) is preferred style here. There isn't really a style that
never causes problems but 2) is particularly problematic because it
means everyone needs to edit the files to reuse them outside the W3C
infrastructure (a strong requirement for us). Relative paths can also
be problematic because it encourages copying testharness.js around
rather than having a single maintained copy.