Minutes, DOM3 Events Telcon, 28 May 2008

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:43:57 -0400
To: Web API public <public-webapi@w3.org>

Hi, WebAPI fans-

The minutes for the DOM3 Events telcon on 28 May 2008 can be found here:

Or as text below:

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Web API WG Teleconference

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/28_May_2008

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/05/28-webapi-irc

           [Microsoft], Carmelo, Doug, aemmons, smaug, +47.21.65.aaaa,

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Issue/action review
          2. [6]onFoo vs. addEventListener
      * [7]Summary of Action Items

    <trackbot> Date: 28 May 2008

    <scribe> Scribe: Travis

    <shepazu> [8]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Special:Listusers

       [8] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Special:Listusers

    <scribe> scribeNick: Travis

Issue/action review

    Travis is a bit lazy.

    <shepazu> [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/products/2

       [9] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/products/2

    71 open actions (all overdue)

    <shepazu> [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/actions/open

      [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/actions/open

    <shepazu> [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/actions/276

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/actions/276

    Reviewing various action items in Tracker...

    Mouse wheel event is pretty much done...

    Doug: legacy mousewheel + the "nice way" event with multi-deltas
    ... will add nice combination of legacy behavior for all
    ... wrt mousewheel stuff
    ... Pixel scrolling vs. Line scrolling

    olli: should check out mozilla info on pixel scrolling

    Doug: will continue to checkin with olli offline to incorporate info
    into spec.

    <scribe> ACTION: Doug to incorporate info on mousewheel event in
    conjunction with Olli's info. [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-280 - Incorporate info on mousewheel event
    in conjunction with Olli\'s info. [on Doug Schepers - due

    Doug: May not be able to close a lot of my actions.

    aemmons: proposal to tighten the wording for double click--this
    could be low-hanging fruit to add

    doug: Please all, go through your actions and resolve 2 of them by
    next week.

    Here here!

    doug: implementers should work on items most important to them
    ... who can start looking into making tests for DOM 3 events?

    carmelo: I can do that. I can possibly auto-generate a lot of the
    test from the spec.
    ... will define the test in terms of XML...

    doug: BitFlash (aemmons) has implemented DOM L3 Events

    aemmons: SVG has published new tests. I can send to this list tests
    that overlap DOM L3 Events space.

    carmelo: what's our time frame for CR?

    doug: goal is late summer

    Carmelo: late aug/sep/?

    doug: I'll have a better idea about a realistic timeframe after I
    start editing.

    Carmelo: Planning on leaving last half of June... can send into
    before then.

    Doug: should go through section by section and identify how we plan
    to test.
    ... will tag "must", "should", etc. to identify testible chunks

    Carmelo: When can we expect that?

    doug: possibly in two weeks.

    Carmelo: Excellent.

    Travis: Should we consider WebIDL markup?

    Doug: There are a few risks with taking that now (i.e., WebIDL not
    done/could destabalize implementations/normative reference?)
    ... aemmons any suggestions on how to make better progress?

    aemmons: Our current plan looks good. Small steps.

    Doug: Olli, same question?

    olli: We should move forward on key events

    Doug: Yes, I should add a section to the spec talking about that. I
    should prioritize this.
    ... Travis?

    Travis: Microsoft should weigh-in on the draft once some of these
    changes are in.

onFoo vs. addEventListener

    Doug: Ian's recent mail indicated that it should be specified more
    ... however, I want it to be spec'd more generically.

    <shepazu> a/more clearly/more specific and detailed/

    <smaug> does anyone have link to that Ian's email?

    hallvors: when designMode is on, inline event handlers should not

    <shepazu> "Do you have a plan for how to resolve the dependency
    between event handler DOM attribute processing and the designMode
    DOM attribute? Also, please remember to deal with the mouseover
    event's quirk when doing this."

    hallvors: there might be a security issue if browsers run inline
    event handlers while the content is in designMode

    Doug: we don't know what the "quirk" is that Ian is referring to.

    hallvors: Could be bubbling? When and how it should bubble?

    Doug/hallvors: we should ask him to clarify.

    Doug: first point (about designMode + attribute processing) - think
    that should should be dealt with by the language.

    <Carmelo> Must leave now. Will see all next week.

    Doug: dont' think it's appropriate for DOM L3 Events to describe

    Travis: agree. I think designMode is way outside the scope of this

    olli: Agree.

    aemmons: Agree as well.

    Doug: Back to "onFoo" in the context of eventListeners

    olli: If we're going to define them, why not have a link to HTML5...

    Doug: I think it's appropriate to talk about the relationship
    between these...

    Travis: I need to check the relationship between these still. Will
    do it this week.

    Doug: anything else--open mic?
    ... Please send me agenda request for topics for next week. I hope
    to have edited a significant portion of the spec by then.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Doug to incorporate info on mousewheel event in
    conjunction with Olli's info. [recorded in

    [End of minutes]