Re: [XHR] Dependencies in XHR

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 5/27/08 7:17 PM):

> On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:58:45 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
>>>  Vendors have actually requested this. The problem is summarized here:
>>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008May/0249.html
>>
>> Well... that's not quite a normative reference. :)
>
> It was not a reference for that claim, it was a reference for the issue
> we have. It seems you're suggesting you rather leave it underdefined?

No, I want it defined somewhere that there isn't a long wait on a
dependency chain.  I assume you're not claiming that vendors have asked
for the opposite... but I'd be entertained by a link to that reference. :)

Seriously, I'm not sure what your point was here... I explained that
commercial browser vendors prefer stable, mature specs, without
unresolved dependencies... could you clarify why that isn't a concern?

>>>  Again, HTML5 currently has a better definition.
>>
>> Okay, I'll work on that.
>
> Great, though note that we reference DOM Level 2 Events currently as
> that is more stable and does everything XMLHttpRequest requires.
> Referencing DOM Level 3 Events instead would actually increase the
> number of instable dependencies.

Yes, let's reevaluate that in light of progress on DOM3 Events shortly.

>> Sure.  Is there some reason this can't be made generic and left to the
>> host language to define?
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

I'm asking for an explanation about the nature of the dependency, vis a
vis the necessary level of details in XHR.

> Note that we also rely on HTML5 for document.innerHTML to define proper
> serialization of a Document object.

Noted.  Any proposal on how that can be resolved?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI