Re: [XHR] Dependencies in XHR

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Doug Schepers wrote:

> It seems that there are multiple dependencies upon HTML 5.0 in the XHR
> specification.  As Team Contact, I would like to caution against this
> approach, as the HTML 5.0 specification is a long time from being
> stable, and this hinders implementation (particularly for vendors who
> sell their browsers, and must therefore market them). [...]
>
> I believe that "origin" can be defined in the Window Object
> specification, one of this WG's explicit deliverables.
>
> "Objects implementing the Window interface must provide an
> XMLHttpRequest() constructor."
>
> Again, see Window Object spec.

Um, if we're going to be moving the references away from HTML5, could we
at least move them to specs that have a chance of actually getting
maintained sometime this decade?

> We have discussed adding consideration for "event handler DOM attribute"
> in the DOM3 Events spec, such that a host language can define what that
> means in its context

That would be great, I'd love to offload this part of HTML5. Do you have a
plan for how to resolve the dependency between event handler DOM
attribute processing and the designMode DOM attribute? Also, please
remember to deal with the mouseover event's quirk when doing this.

Cheers,