Re: Proposal to work on Geolocation

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 00:34:14 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, public-webapi@w3.org

On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:38:37 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On May 27, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> In fact, I proposed on the WebApps WG charter to add this deliverable.
>> However, the Advisory Committee's review of the charter indicated that
>> the Membership wants this to happen in a dedicated Geolocation API WG.
>>
>> The W3C intends to follow through on that, and to allocate Team
>> resources to this valuable technology.  We will announce something
>> formal soon.
> I could not find record of any such objection in the Advisory Committee
> mailing list archives, or any record of an official W3C decision on this
> point. As Team contact, could you please explain who made this decision
> and on what basis?

In which case I presume that someone used their ability to reply to the
Team privately instead of being open about what they wanted. This disturbs
me a little since it increases the resources and coordination required,
IMHO, to do what is a pretty simple piece of work.

For the record, Opera would also like to see the geolocation work take
place inside the webAPI group and is unhappy that it has been removed from
the proposed charter for Web Apps.

Cheers

Chaals