Re: Proposal to work on Geolocation

Hi, Ian-

Thanks for this proposal.

I strongly believe that W3C should be working on this, and over the last
few weeks, Mike Smith and I have been talking to key vendors and other
parties to bring together the proper resources to do this, including
some discussion at Google.  We have identified several interested parties.

In fact, I proposed on the WebApps WG charter to add this deliverable.
However, the Advisory Committee's review of the charter indicated that
the Membership wants this to happen in a dedicated Geolocation API WG.

The W3C intends to follow through on that, and to allocate Team
resources to this valuable technology.  We will announce something
formal soon.

Rest assured that Mike and I are intent on ensuring that there is no
scope creep for this API, and that the Geolocation API WG will take a
pragmatic, vendor-aware approach, and will act quickly.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI