Re: XHR LC comments

On May 19, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Sunava Dutta wrote:

> [Sunava Dutta] Compatible with the web sounds very nice and is
> something I think I share with you. I think you mean compatible with
> browsers who enable the technologies when you mean compatible with
> the web?

Jonas means that it should enable existing Web content to continue to
work as expected, to the extent possible. So if browsers have a
specific behavior but we have strong reason to believe Web content
does not rely on it (for example if every browser does something
wildly different and we can't find any specific examples of reliance),
then that behavior is likely not relevant to Web compatibility.

> Getting back to more specifics, if we're talking about compatibility
> I absolutely believe the spec should be relevant to existing
> implementations. I'm amenable to what Maciej said when he mentioned
> that in the case (I'm assuming this is a rarity) where the
> implementations are doing whacky things or doing nothing at all, it
> makes sense to work together to identify a way/solution that will
> allow for convergence.

It's not a rarity. The state of XHR interoperability is fairly poor
for edge cases.