Re: [XHR] referencing HTML5

On Fri, 16 May 2008 11:38:04 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> There have been a lot of messages about referencing HTML5 and how we
>> can mitigate that. I don't think that copying the text from HTML5 is an
>> option. The Window specification is fairly complex and especially the
>> interaction with browsing contexts is a complex bit of HTML5 that I
>> don't feel confident taking over. The same goes for defining the origin
>> policy.
>>  If someone were to volunteer to define these outside of HTML5 we could
>> refer to that specification but so far that has not happened.
>>  So we have two reasonable options I think:
>>  1) Keep the references intact.
>>  2) Make various things implementation defined and hint with
>> non-normative notes that this will be defined by HTML5 in the future.
>>  Option two would be feasible but implementors have actually requested
>> that we define in detail how URIs are resolved and what exactly the
>> same-origin policy implies for XMLHttpRequest. I don't think it's worth
>> dropping all that work on the floor.
>
> If you decide to keep the references, I don't see how this document can
> advance.

...beond CR. I don't see any problem with XHR1 hanging around in CR while
the references get finished.

Focussing on how to get a spec to REC as early as possible misses the
point. The point is getting interoperable implementations, and copying
over draft-level spec text or making things non-normative or undefined is
not helping with that.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software