Re: XHR LC comment: Accept header went from MUST NOT to SHOULD

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:31:44 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:56:42 +0200, Laurens Holst
> <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:
>> Why was this changed? Why should user agents pretend that they know what
>> kind of resource the user expects by setting an Accept header that is
>> unreliable? FWIW, Internet Explorer and Safari set the (reasonably
>> acceptable */*), but it would be better to leave it out entirely. Also
>> see:
>>
>> http://www.grauw.nl/blog/entry/470
>
> It was pointed out by another Last Call comment that not setting the
> Accept header causes servers to break. Given the results above I suppose
> we could require that for XMLHttpRequest purposes it is at least always
> set to */*. Would that work?

Not setting the Accept header means the same thing as setting it to
"*/*"
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.1.p.8>),
so these servers simply are buggy.

I think it's better not to add more workarounds, but to let the XHR
clients deal with these broken servers, by explicitly setting the header.

BR, Julian