Re: [selectors-api] Extended Attribute [NoNull] in the IDL

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:56:37 -0500
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> That's in the Bindings4Dom spec.  I'm trying to make the IDL conform to it.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/Binding4DOM/#NoNull

So the relevant part of that spec is:

   How implementations treat the assignment of a null  value to an
   attribute with the [NoNull]  extended attribute, or passing a null
   value as a [NoNull] operation argument, is specific to the language
   binding.

The example indicates that in ECMAScript passing null as a DOMString just passes
the string "null".  What is the benefit of this behavior over treating null as
the empty string, which is what I presume happens if the [NoNull] is not specified?

What do existing implementations do here?

-Boris