Re: Accessing Object Parameters from an Embedded SVG

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:11:19 -0500
To: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
CC: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

Jeff Schiller wrote:
[off-list]
> I'm not well-versed on the history behind document.domain and how "the
> web depends on it being writable".  Can someone send me a pointer?

document.domain is used to change the effective domain of web pages in certain
limited ways to allow communication between subdomains of the same domain.  The
first Google hit on "document.domain" is the MSDN documentation for its behavior
in IE, which is a good description of how things work.

> It would have
> been great if HTMLObjectElement had an accessible "params" NodeList
> readonly attribute :(

Yes, indeed.  It's not too late to add that!

-Boris