Re: Accessing Object Parameters from an Embedded SVG

From: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:58:54 -0500
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

I'm not well-versed on the history behind document.domain and how "the
web depends on it being writable".  Can someone send me a pointer?

I can understand not letting the embedded object get at the elements
outside of the HTMLObjectElement, but this seems like a weird design
flaw - the object parameters should be accessible to the embedded
object, regardless of domain - that's their purpose.  It would have
been great if HTMLObjectElement had an accessible "params" NodeList
readonly attribute :(

Is there any conceivable way to route around this?  The only two
semi-solutions I can think of is either a) turn my SVG into PHP and
embed arguments into it using URL arguments (which prevents effective
caching) or b) make a copy of my SVG on my subdomain (have to maintain
two version of the document).  To me, neither option is really
acceptable.

Thanks,
Jeff