Re: XBL 2.0 implementation made available for major browsers

Laurent et al,

I thank you very much for the feedback provided and the attention payed.

Yes, as many of you guessed, the shadow content (the one coming from XBL template) of course doesn't become anonymous while is inserted into the hosting language DOM. Yes, this IS a problem, since the specification clearly says on where it should go (anonymous content is of course one of the key features of the language). However when used carefully even that "ugly" trick can be worth of the other benefits. (There is many use cases that do not even require templating, right?)

I thought you got it, if not, see the goals of the implementation:
- draw attention to XBL 2.0, the only "extension point" for DHTML today
- let folk experiment with the technology, many people still do not get the sense of technology

And yet, do not forget we all leave in a real world, world of coming out IE8 locked on DOM-0 etc.

Sergey Ilinsky/

laurent <laurent@xulfr.org> wrote: Hi Sergey,

This is a great work, congratulation !

However, your implementation of XBL2 is not full : nodes added from an
XBL are not anonymous, and this is a big issue. Because many DOM
properties and methods don't return expected results. For example
mynode.firstChild should not return a node added by XBL.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-xbl-20070316/#shadow5

But unfortunately, I think you couldn't fix this issue, unless browser
provide API to create anonymous nodes... (In Gecko, there is a such API,
but it's an internal API).

Laurent

Sergey Ilinsky wrote:
> Hi, WebAPI fans
>
> There have been not much activity in the group since a while, so I
> thought I could bring something for consideration.
>
> On my spare time I've implemented XBL 2.0 in JavaScript, a tiny (8k
> gzipped) library that brings support for the technology to all major
> web-browsers. The project is hosted on Google Code
> http://code.google.com/p/xbl/ , if you are interested check it out.
> The implementation supports most of XBL 2.0 features with except for
> three principal - processing instruction  (you still have an
> option to use Behavioral Extensions to CSS),
> xbl-bound/xbl-bindings-are-ready events and xbl:attr attribute. A
> detailed breakdown on features can be found at
> http://code.google.com/p/xbl/wiki/Features There is also a pair of
> examples as well as tests demonstrating multiple aspects of the
> implementation.
>
> Get your bindings bound!
>
> Sergey Ilinsky/

 Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! for Good