Re: XHR LC comments

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:35:12 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> - If the URL parameter can be a IRI, then somewhere later on we need
>> to state that it needs to be transformed to a URI before it's put on
>> the wire.
>
> Added a transformation step as per 3.1 and also required throwing a
> SYNTAX_ERR in case of failure (ToASCII operation failure seems the most
> likely).

OK, it would probably make sense then to rename the URL parameter and
"stored URL" accordingly, so that it becomes clear that IRIs are allowed.

That being said, I just tested IRIs with IE/FF/Opera/Safari, and they
work everywhere except in IE (both 7 and 8beta) (*). Thus, we don't have
any kind of interoperability here.

BR, Julian

(*) For the non-ASCII characters in the IRI (reference) "/äöü.html", IE
sends the raw (ISO8859-1) encoded bytes.