Re: IE Team's Feedback on the XHR Draft

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 04:53:59 -0500
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapi@w3.org" <public-webapi@w3.org>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <zhenbinx@windows.microsoft.com>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Marc Silbey <marcsil@windows.microsoft.com>, Ahmed Kamel <Ahmed.Kamel@microsoft.com>

Hi, Folks-

To be clear, I'm not critiquing the spec itself, or advocating any
specific action.  Rather, I'm trying to manage expectations and ensure
that the various participants of this WG can work smoothly with one
another.  I'm acting purely as a Process wonk here.

Sunava, as you see, there is considerable, and reasonable, incentive to
make the XHR spec as detailed as possible, even where it may not match
the IE implementation precisely.  Maciej's request for more specific
details on potential conflicts (in implementations or content) is
appropriate, I think.

I don't know if you are familiar with the W3C Recommendation Track [1],
so briefly, you should know that LC (Last Call) is not the end of the
process.  It simply indicates that the specification is believed to have
satisfied its technical requirements; it's not considered stable enough
for implementation, and in practice, this is when most comments are made.

Thus, I see little harm in advancing to LC, since you will still have an
opportunity to submit additional technical comments.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI