Re: [XHR] i18n comment 6: combining of multiple Accept-Language headers

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:12:07 +0100, <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> --
>> If the header argument is in the list of request headers either use
>> multiple headers, combine the values or usea combination of those
>> --
>>
>> It then gives and example in which the headers are combined
>> algorithmically (basically, concatenating them). However, some
>> headers, such as Accept-Language, use q-weights and other structure
>> and this approach may not work acceptably in those cases. Perhaps
>> provide some guidance on these cases?
>
> Correct. The method does not take HTTP semantics into account. I haven't
> had feedback so far that this is actually problematic, apart from that
> it isn't very nice. (If in due course authors do start to complain about
> this it is something that could be addressed by XMLHttpRequest Level 3.)

Wouldn't this qualify as "feedback"? :-)

I realize that this may not be a widely used feature of XHR. But
implementers should probably be aware that, since the setRequestHeader
method sets HTTP headers, concatenation is not always sufficient for
compliance with RFC 2616, etc.

Addison

--
Addison Phillips