Re: The XMLHttpRequest Object comments

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 12:11:38 AM, Innovimax wrote:
>
> IS> I agree that it seems strange to have an "XML"HttpRequest that
> IS> does not support XML at all !!
>
> I agree that an XHR with no XML support does not make sense. Which
> means XML must be supported. On the other hand, that does not mean
> that XML is the only content that can be transported with it.

I do not agree that it does not make sense - this is a generic mechanism for
accessing URIs.  Requiring simple textual data to be transmitted and
received as XML would be a huge burden on embedded clients, for example.

I don't see why HTTP is mandatory either, to be honest, although I accept
that that's what most scripts will use it for.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer