Re: upload progress events

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:21:19 -0600
To: public-webapi@w3.org

 > In brief, the idea is to use the same set of events
 > for upload and download, but to provide a separate EventTarget
 > attached to the XMLHttpRequest object, which is the target all the
 > upload-related events; XHR itself only dispatches the download events.

Out of curiousity, is that last a hard requirement?

That is would an implementation which dispatches the upload events both
as "progress" events on xhr.upload and "uploadprogress" events on xhr be
conformant to the specification.  If so, that would allow existing code
to continue working while allowing spec-compliant code to also work.

I realize that there is an issue with providing non-standard ways to do
what the standard allows in that authors might use code that works in
one UA but not others.  So I'm not even sure doing the above would be a
good idea.  But would it be allowed per the standard?

-Boris