Re: Recent spec change to XMLHttpRequest default Content-Type

From: Carsten Orthbandt <carsten@pixeltamer.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:54:42 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: public-webapi@w3.org

Julian Reschke schrieb:
> You're violating a SHOULD level requirement of HTTP/1.1 then. Sorry, but
> that's what you get for that :-).
>
>> - I definately dont want to see future browsers choke on that
>
> Actually, I'm tempted to say it would be good for the web if more UAs
> would flag missing content-type headers.

I tend to disagree.
SHOULD means "there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
ignore a particular item".

The (IMHO) valid reason here is:
- redundant header overhead
- the UA isn't even meant to interpret the response, so it doesn't need
  any information on how to parse it

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Carsten Orthbandt