Re: Recent spec change to XMLHttpRequest default Content-Type

From: Carsten Orthbandt <carsten@pixeltamer.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:28:03 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren schrieb:
> We have to deal with reality. This change was made to the specification
> because UA implementors already populate responseXML with a parsed
> document if the response does not include a Content-Type header and said
> they could not remove that. If you can convince UA implementors to not
> populate responseXML for responses without a Content-Type header please
> report back and I'll update the specification.

You somehow skipped over my actual proposal:

- If the XMLHttpRequest response does not specify a Content-Type, scan it for
the xml signature and ONLY parse as XML if it [was] found.
- Do NOT log errors for parsing errors when no Content-Type was given

I also explained that I'm fully aware of the appcompat issue here. It's
obviously a bad idead to simply stop parsing type-less content because
lots of app depend on it.
On the other hand it's just as bad to break apps that do not use XML and
actually adhere the existing spec.

Carsten Orthbandt

pixeltamer.net
c/o Carsten Orthbandt