Re: Recent spec change to XMLHttpRequest default Content-Type

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:58:30 +0200, Carsten Orthbandt
<carsten@pixeltamer.net> wrote:
> Executive summary:
>
> The current specs clearly say that XMLHttpRequest responses without a
> Content-Type header are to be treated as text/plain, not XML. There's
> a change underway that says that such content should be treated as XML.
> I think this is not a good idea.

We have to deal with reality. This change was made to the specification
because UA implementors already populate responseXML with a parsed
document if the response does not include a Content-Type header and said
they could not remove that. If you can convince UA implementors to not
populate responseXML for responses without a Content-Type header please
report back and I'll update the specification.