Re: Prototype chain for objects that implement multiple interfaces

On Jun 5, 2007, at 10:52 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> To be honest, do we really think that specifying the exact prototype
>> chain is desirable?  How likely are UAs to rework the mappings
>> between
>> their native code and ECMAScript to follow said spec?
>
> Safari has had to implement this stuff in a Mozilla-compatible way for
> compatibility with Web content, as I understand it. So the sooner we
> define how this is to work, the sooner we can get wider consistency
> and
> less browser differences that affect authors.

Safari doesn't exactly match what Mozilla does currently, we do
sometimes have people point out the details of what is missing but it
can be hard to tell how much is necessary to support. For instance, we
don't have window.EventTarget, but in Mozilla that doesn't seem to
even have a prototype, only a QueryInterface method. I'm not even sure
if it's intentional that global constructors in Mozilla have a
function-valued property named "QueryInterface", or just an
implementation artifact.