[XHR2] XMLHttpRequest and progress events

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:00:40 +0200
To: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

I've been looking into integrating progress events into XMLHttpRequest. In
general it is pretty trivial to do for the request non-uploading scenario.
loadstart is dispatched right after the first readystatechange event is
dispatched in the send() algorithm and progress is dispatched while
downloading. (abort, error and load are pretty obvious). I decided to only
dispatch them for synchronous requests. load, as exception, is also
dispatched in the synchronous case. (For abort and error the synchronous
case throws an exception and loadstart and progress are not useful after
the request has already completed.)

The main problem is probably the XMLHttpRequestUpload object
(XMLHttpRequest.upload) which we decided to use for data going to the
server. Can someone explain to me how the user agent knows how much
content it already has uploaded? Should we dispatch a loadstart event on
that object as well even though it will be at the same moment it is
dispatched on the XMLHttpRequest object? When to dispatch the progress
events and abort, error, etc?