Re: Progress event spec

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 06:00:40 -0500, Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@streamezzo.com>
wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> JCD: I have already answered about the "load" event, which I believe is
> disconnected (connected to the loading of the element, not to the
> animation).

Could you explain this again? I don't understand the case of a media element
that fires a load when it hasn't actually finished loading.

>> So the assumption behind the above combination is that it is a justifiable
hack.
>> I certainly haven't seen any use case for the zero-length transfer to fire a
>> progress event - if there is one, then of course this hack is not good enough.
>>
> JCD: I want to be able to start an animation on "beginning of load", and
> stop it on "end of load", and just use the simple syntax of an event in
> a begin/end attribute. This is easy, well-known and liked by authors,
> why do you want to remove that syntax facility ?

I don't. But I do want to simplify this event, and hadn't yet come up with a use
case where you needed the progress event instead of relying on the load to set
up the start and end (in part perhaps because I don't understand the case above
that you are proposing).

I also don't want to encourage authors to rely on this event, since doing so
breaks backward compatibility for no good reason that I can understand.

> JCD: Did you read the MAE spec
> and did you find interactions and should we merge the two specs ?

Still haven't read it. Will try to do so today.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com