Re: Progress event spec

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:41:06 +0100, Jean-Claude Dufourd
<jean-claude.dufourd@streamezzo.com> wrote:
>> 1. Make the "total" attribute 0 if the length is unknown, and drop the
>> boolean "lengthComputable".
>>
>> The rationale is that if you really have a zero-length load, it is
>> unlikely to ever have time to fire a progress event, and will almost
>> certainly
>> only fire any in a really degenerate case. Having a large number was a
>> bad idea,
>> since one day you will have a large number of bytes, and having
>> anegative number
>> meant having a signed instead of unsigned integer.
>
> I think Maciej has a point. This feels like a hack.

I think it was mostly my fault. I didn't realize the 0/0 case was that
important. I suppose we could either let .total be null when the length is
not known or indeed add a boolean attribute .lengthComputable or
.knownLength. I prefer the former, but that's prolly only feasible in
languages that allow mixed return types such as ECMAScript and Python.

> The use case for indeterminate length and you want to have the end event
> is: you get a live recording. And I would want to know if it is the end
> or just progress. So I really think that removing postload, or at least
> the clear indication of an end, is a mistake.

I think the "load" event should be used for this.