Frequency Re: Progress event spec

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:28:14 -0500
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>, "Web APIs WG" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:31:11 -0500, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> So I would hope that the spec says that not only is this implementation
>> defined but may differ depending on the actual network connection in
>> use....
> I haven't actually looked at the spec,

(Why tell us?)

> but, I would recommend something along the lines of:
> MUST fire at zero bytes

Because you can't disambiguate the case of an unknown length transfer and
a zero
byte total transfer at zero bytes transferred, I am not sure what this
buys you.
And I am not sure why it MUST fire at zero anyway - although in many cases
suspect that will be a useful point to fire and people will prefer
implementations that do that.

I don't think it MUST fire at all - authoring anything that relies on it
so means breaking backpat for the sake of something that is really an
extra, and since i don't see the gain yet I don't think it is a good idea
open that path.

> MUST fire again at the end, even if that is zero bytes

Agree with Jim on this.

> SHOULD fire at least once every 500ms in between the above two events,
> unless no progress has been made in that time.
> SHOULD NOT fire more than once every 10ms.

I don't think we need to be so prescriptive about the timing. There are
uses for
knowing that no progress has been made, and for a wide range of
frequencies (even
wider than the range of 2-100 Hz that you are suggesting). Is there some
I am missing why that particular range makes special sense?

chaals@opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com