Fwd: minor clarifications to ProgressEvent

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Ellen Siegel" <Ellen.Siegel@Sun.COM>
To: "Nandini Ramani" <Nandini.Ramani@Sun.COM>, "Charles McCathieNevile"
<chaals@opera.com>
Cc: "Vincent Hardy" <Vincent.Hardy@Sun.COM>
Subject: minor clarifications to ProgressEvent
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:41:06 -0500

Charles, Nandini,

I have a couple of questions/clarifications about the ProgressEvent and
MouseWheelEvent.

The first one is about the 'total' parameter to InitProgressEvent[NS]. It
is
defined as "the expected total number of bytes in this load operation", but
there is no clarification about its value if that number is unknown. I
have a
note in my file about using a negative value if the total is unknown... I
thought I got this from another DOM definition, but I can't seem to find
the
source. Should there be a clarification on the behavior if the expected
total is
unknown? Or is it a safe assumption that the value will always be known?

For the namespaceURI parameter to initProgressEventNS (actually, to all the
initXXXEventNS methods): is it legal for this parameter to be null? I
think this
needs to be clarified: is there an expectation that if the namespace is
null the
non-NS init method should be used? Or is it valid to provide a null value
for
the namespace parameter in the NS init method? In Event::initEventNS the
description of the namespaceURI parameter says that it should be null if
there
is no namespace, but that clarification does not show up in most of the
other
event type parameter descriptions. In particular, it does not show up in
initProgressEventNS, but I think that in general a single consistent answer
should apply across all of the various event types.

Thanks,
Ellen

chaals@opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com