Comments on File Upload

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:18:22 +0000
To: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Commenting on;

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/FileUpload/publish/FileUpload.html?rev=1.2&content-type=text/html;%20charset=iso-8859-1

Editorial;

- sec 1, "This interface" should be "This specification"
- sec 3, I'd suggest s/apparition/display/

Substantive;

- sec 3, regarding "On devices that have no file system, the
user-agent MAY still open a dialogue for data acquisition, for
instance an interface to a built-in camera", my concern is that  the
file dialogue should be considered generic, not specific to any form
of data, so I don't want to give the impression that the device can
choose the data without user involvement.  So I'd suggest "for
instance, a dialog which identifies a built-in camera and a
microphone".

- sec 4, not that I care that much, but do we really need this
interface? Would an array not suffice?  It can't do remove, of course,
but is that such a big deal?

- sec 4, I don't think "SHOULD" is appropriate there, for selecting
multiple files - MAY should be fine.  Plus I think it's best specified
in sec 3.

- sec 5, filesize - do we know the use cases for this?  I don't think
the definition provided would be useful for much beyond scenarious
using some files in a file system.  What if a camera had an 8MB
buffer, but image sizes could be up to that size?  Or similarly, what
about an audio stream?  And is this meant to be a string?

- sec 5, mediatype - do both "" and null values indicate that the
agent doesn't know the media type?  And are we expecting this to be
just be the "foo/bar" value, or would parameters also be included?
Need some references too.

Mark.