Re: XMLHTTPRequest Issue on behaviour when method not supported

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:19:26 +0100
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:43:12 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
>> Nowhere is the behaviour defined for what happens if the methods are
>> not supported, the current behaviour in those user agents who only
>> support a couple of methods - that of silently transformed into GET, is
>> not much use, and I would say very wrong.
>> Please change it to throw an exception on open if you use a method
>> which is not defined, or alternatively provide a property which is the
>> actual method going to be used, preferably the exception.
> I'd like to defer this until the whole method discussion has been sorted
> out. Consider it noted though.

Currently the draft assumes that the only reason for not supporting a
method is because of security concerns in which case a SECURITY_ERR
exception must be raised. I suppose we can add the NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR as
well, but not supporting a header for other reasons than security doesn't
make much sense to me (given past discussions).

Sorry for the late response by the way...