Re: REX and File Upload published

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:57:04 +0200
To: "public-webapi@w3.org" <public-webapi@w3.org>

> Hi folks, there is a new working draft of REX [1], and a first public
> working draft of file upload, for your delectation.
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/file-upload

A few comments on File Upload:

The File interface
==================
* Lacks a method for treating files as streams instead of atoms. Being
able to explicitly treat the file as a string is probably better for very
large files
* getDataAsString probably needs to take a second argument with the
default encoding of the file
* Binary files read as String should probably raise an exception if the
file contains contain unprintable characters
* What should happen when you read a file as String, and the resulting
string contains an illegal byte sequence (ISO-8859-1 attempted parsed as
UTF8 being the prime example.)

Further, the File Dialog is a bit confusing:
* Couldn't an <input type="file"> be used instead, since invoking this
dialog without user interaction is probably a bad idea security-wise?
* I further believe there are legitimate uses for making entire folders
available (possibly including subfolders). How should this be handled?

--
Arve Bersvendsen, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/