Re: XMLHttpRequest: URI argument for the open() method

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:47:50 +0200, Brad Fults <bfults@gmail.com> wrote:
> I fail to see where the conformance requirements for the url parameter
> are specified anywhere within the above quoted text.

Well, the user agent requirements are clear imho. I suppose we could have
some author requirements in there as well.

> [...]
>
> Not to be absurd, but as the referenced draft [1] currently stands, an
> implementor could allow only RFC 2616 URL strings specified in reverse
> order (e.g. "/moc.elgoog.www//:ptth") and it would be completely
> conformant to the XMLHttpRequest specification. This seems
> undesirable.

I don't see how it would be conformant. If it's a valid relative reference
it would have to be resolved against the base URI (as indicated) and
otherwise it should throw.

> [...]
>
> It would seem to me that  support for the HTTP and HTTPS URL schemes
> should be required, leaving room for other schemes as optional.

I'll add that to the issue list. As well as author requirements... Thanks.