Re: XMLHttpRequest: Why list HTTP method names

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:33:24 +0200
To: Subbu Allamaraju <subbu.allamaraju@gmail.com>
CC: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Subbu Allamaraju schrieb:
> Really?
>
> What I'm trying to understand is that why is it the responsibility of
> the XMLHttpRequest spec to say that certain specific methods MUST be
> supported.

Well, the "MUST" is so that clients can rely on a certain set of methods
to be supported. The "SHOULD" is to encourage implementers to do the
IMHO right thing, meaning to support arbitrary methods.

> That should be the responsibility of specifications layered on top of
> XMLHttpRequest. For example, a specification talking about
> XMLHttpRequest for some arbitrary user-agent device might want to say
> that such a device MUST support GET and POST. Another specification
> might require support for some other method.

I have a hard time understanding why that would make a difference. Do
you have a concrete use case where it's harder to implement FOOBAR than
POST?

Best regards, Julian