Re: XMLHttpRequest: Why list HTTP method names

From: Subbu Allamaraju <subbu.allamaraju@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:15:41 -0600
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>

> I'd like to add that one of the reasons for talking about this at all is
> to *prevent* people from only supporting GET/HEAD/POST .-)

Really?

What I'm trying to understand is that why is it the responsibility of
the XMLHttpRequest spec to say that certain specific methods MUST be
supported.

That should be the responsibility of specifications layered on top of
XMLHttpRequest. For example, a specification talking about
XMLHttpRequest for some arbitrary user-agent device might want to say
that such a device MUST support GET and POST. Another specification
might require support for some other method.

Subbu

--
http://www.subbu.org