Re: The url parameter of the XMLHttpRequest.open() method

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:04:39 +0000 (UTC)
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> After having done some more testing I'm quite convinced that Internet
> Explorer stores the base URI the moment you construct the object. When
> the other window is removed for instance, or a different URI is loaded
> in it, the base URI stays the same.

Removing the window wouldn't do anything (the Window object could just be
kept around while the XMLHttpRequest exists), and loading a different URI
would likely not do anything either (it could be that the reference that
is being kept is to the Document, not the Window, or that a distinct
instance of the Window interface exists for each Document).

If you want to be compatible with IE for this, what you should check is
what happens if the base URI is _changed_ while the XMLHttpRequest object
exists, e.g. by changing the attribute directly or by mutating the <base>
elements in the document (if that works).