Fwd: Re: [svg-developers] JavaScript access to selected text

 From another list, so that I track it here.

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [svg-developers] JavaScript access to selected text
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:58:28 +0100

(will forward to "Web API public" <public-webapi@w3.org> where comments on
that document are tracked by the working group)

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:50:15 +0100, ddailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
wrote:

> The working draft of Nov. 15th of this year at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/clipboard-apis/ seems to address much of this.
>
> I would surmise, on the basis of the status of that draft, that no
> methods have been firmly agreed upon yet.
>
> Charles and Doug, am I reading that right?

Yes. That draft is at an early stage, and is largely cobbled together from
documentation of what IE implements for HTML plus teh WHATWG analysis of
the same.

> It rather seems that the security issues of accessing the clipboard, and
> those of accessing user selected text might be slightly separable,
> though I have found lots of situations where copy and paste would come
> in quite handy as well.

My current feeling is that security is best left to the user agent. There
are potential risks in allowing script to do the whole copy/paste -
especially in conjunction with something like cross document messaging,
for example, so I don't expect that the whole copy/paste operation will be
allowed. (Typically I would guess that pasting will not be available to
scripts by default).

> In the current scenario though, we're interested just in allowing
> graphical linking between substrings of text that has been typeset in
> boxes -- specifically letting the user's drag-over-text to access a
> substring of that text.

Interesting. Do you want to explain more about the use case?

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com