REX terminology issue

Hi,

I went through the updated REX draft, and my concern with the terminology
remains. Quoted from one of my previous mails:

The draft refers to updates to the DOM as "mutation events". I think this is
very confusion and it was also pointed out by Maciej Stachowiak earlier on the
list. I would clearly separate out two concepts:

- DOM updates (actions)

It is the DOM updates which cause the mutation events, so we should call it "DOM
updates" or "DOM mutations". Put it another way, the content of REX messages are
DOM mutation "actions" (or "commands"), not DOM mutation events. In the rich web
client context, we should call it "UI updates", which is the term used by XUP
and the Widex working group.

- UI events

This is not covered in the current REX spec, and hopefully will be in v2. These
are the UI related events caused by end user actions; e.g. button click,
checking a check box, key stokes, etc. This concept is well defined in Widex,
but not in REX.

In the rich web client context, we shall no longer be limited by HTML DOM
events, which were created for page-based applications. A more fluid,
desktop-like user interface requires rich UI events, such as those found in
Swing, XUL, and XAML. Of course, the event details should be left to the
respective XML UI languages (or whatever comes out of Application Formats WG).
However, REX should have a "UI event" concept that is extensible and flexible.

In summary, actions trigger events, so mixing actions and events are very
confusing. It would be ideal if these two concepts are clearly defined in the
spec.

Regards,

Jin
Jin Yu