Re: ACTION-87: Selectors API

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:15:38 +0200
To: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Mon, 15 May 2006 01:22:21 +0200, liorean <liorean@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just have a look at the XPathNSResolver interface.
> In the Selectors spec, the selector "elm" is equivalent to "*|elm" in
> the case of a missing default namespace, but "ns|elm" where "ns" is
> the default namespace if a default namespace is declared.
> The XPathNSResolver interface specifically states that it must never
> be  called with a null or empty argument. I imagine the Selectors API
> would want to be able to send a null argument as a way to ask for the
> default namespace, or be given some equivalent functionality.

During our F2F I discussed this Jonas (he's the editor of DOM Level 3
XPath) and we're considering something like that, yes. Not sure yet if DOM
Level 3 XPath will allow it and say that for XPath related methods UAs
MUST do nothing or that Selectors API widens the scope of it. I hope the
former, but we'll see that when we get there. Thanks for raising it on the

Anne van Kesteren