Re: ISSUE-82: should Anne\'s proposed even click count rule for dblclick be a normative requirement?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 11:32:16 -0700
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>

On May 7, 2006, at 7:39 AM, L. David Baron wrote:

> On Sunday 2006-05-07 05:59 +0000, Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:
>> Should Anne's proposed "click count % 2 == 0" rule be a normative
>> requirement, or just a helpful suggestion for one possible way to do
>> things? Firefox on the Mac is the only browser/platform combo I know
>> of that does not currently follow it, and I think this may be just an
>> oversight. But we could alternately leave it undefined.
>
> Is it just an oversight?  I don't think so.  Quadruple click on mac
> can
> have semantics distinct from double-click (e.g., select paragraph
> versus
> select word).  Why should we fire a dblclick event for something that
> isn't a double click per platform conventions?
>
> (On a Mac, try creating an empty folder on the desktop.  If you double
> click on it, it's open, with the window active (close/minimize/zoom
> are
> red/orange/green).  If you triple click, quadruple-click, or more, the
> window isn't active.  If the platform convention were to tree 4 or 5
> clicks as a double-click, the window would be active after the 4th or
> 5th click like it was after the second.)

You're right! I tested some more and I could find very few places
that treat 4, 6, 8 clicks or more as a double-click (iTunes was the
only place). So it's probably best to define that dblclick is for
click count exactly equal to two, rather than even click count,
unless there is some other platform that does it that way. I'll file
a bug on Safari.

Cheers,
Maciej