Re: ISSUE-82: should Anne\'s proposed even click count rule for dblclick be a normative requirement?

* Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:
>Should Anne's proposed "click count % 2 == 0" rule be a normative
>requirement, or just a helpful suggestion for one possible way to
>do things? Firefox on the Mac is the only browser/platform combo
>I know of that does not currently follow it, and I think this may
>be just an oversight. But we could alternately leave it undefined.

We should not discuss such a relationship at all and say instead that
the notion of a double click depends on the environment configuration
unless someone can demonstrate that either usability research clearly
proved that any other behavior would be unacceptable, or that it is
impossible for implementations to behave in some other way (e.g., due
to extraordinary amounts of content that depends on making this
assumption that won't be fixed and that any implementation will want
to support). In

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006May/0058

I listed a number of example cases where implementers might want to
offer different behavior. A real world browser example is Amaya where
links are activated with a double click; the link is activated before
the button is released again, which is consistent with conventions on
my platform. With the proposed model, neither a click nor a dblclick
would occur, whereas not adding this constraint would allow to model
link activation as default action of the dblclick. Another case is my
graphic tablet's pen, which has a button that is configured to double
click. It unfortunately emulates two clicks, which makes using this
button more complicated than necessary. A better design would just
emulate the double click, but that is less compatible with existing
native applications.