Re: handling of POST in XMLHTTPRequest.

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 10:06:00 -0700
To: David.Carson@nokia.com, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:46:19 -0700, <David.Carson@nokia.com> wrote:
>> "The MIME type of the stream should be specified by setting the
>> Content- Type header via the setRequestHeader method before calling
>> send."
>> [...]
>
> That sounds like good advice to me.  Any objections?

Used:

   Authors SHOULD specify the <code>Content-Type</code> header via
   <code>setRequestHeader</code> before invoking
   <code>send</code> with an argument.

(Reference to setRequestHeader is included as well.)

>> It seems implementations should not set a Content-Type header
>> if the author didn't specify one for non-Documents, and for
>> Documents it should be the type of the Document, and if that
>> type is not known, and the Document supports the XML feature,
>> an XML media type. Does that make sense to you?

How do you determine the type of the Document? You mean HTMLDocument
results in application/xhtml+xml or text/html? It makes sense for at least
XML documents given your test results. Can you still overwrite it though?