Re: Headers / caches proposal (revised)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 17:19:30 -0700
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 5/2/06, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> BTW, I don't think "only appended to" solves it, since one of the
> anticipated problems is that "Close" could be added and may break an
> existing persistent connection.

If by "break" you mean "close cleanly", sure.  But there's little harm
in that in general, since UAs already have to know to start new
connections if one fails (and another isn't available from the pool).
And I would think that being able to close connections could be useful
in some cases.

Alternately, if folks feel strongly about this, we could prevent
"close" from being added to the Connection header.

Mark.