Re: A typo in The XMLHttpRequest Object W3C working draft

* Alex Russell wrote:
>On Tuesday 02 May 2006 12:15 am, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 May 2006 12:28:45 +0200, Maksym Kozub
>>
>> Not really, cross-domain XMLHttpRequest is more a v2 kind of feature.
>> I revised that entire paragraph.
>
>Which is to say that this working group won't be addressing it in time
>for the next set of browser releases?
>
>That's deeply unfortunate, and IMO, a mistake.

Hello Alex, thanks for your comments. The draft does not specifically
prohibit implementation of this functionality, but you are right that
the draft does not address this in other ways. As you can read in the
http://www.w3.org/2006/webapi/admin/charter charter of the group, the
goal for this first version of the specification is to document what
has or will be deployed in the short term, to foster interoperability,
provide better documentation, a test suite, and encourage widespread
adoption; this is likely more beneficial if done earlier.

Even if we had a complete solution to this problem now, which would
include at least a full specification and a test suite, it seems un-
likely that vendors would include support for it into products which
are now in a beta-stage; and we currently just have some proposals
under discussion (as you might have read on this list). So this is
likely going to take more time, and it isn't clear that the rest of
the specification should be significantly delayed to offer this kind
of functionality.

That said, we are aware that this functionality is highly desired,
and some working group participants are actively investigating some
of the possible solutions, which might eventually make it into the
next version of the XMLHttpRequest specification, and might get im-
plemented in browsers. You are encouraged to contribute to this dis-
cussion.

With this in mind, do you still think this is a mistake?

If, you could register a formal objection to this decision; the Web
API Working Group will then record your objection and The Director
will consider it when the group requests advancement of the document.
Please refer to

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#WGArchiveMinorityViews

for more information.