Re: Request For Feedback on Event Groups

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 01:21:00 -0700
Cc: doug.schepers@vectoreal.com, "'Public Web API'" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>

On May 1, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Doug Schepers wrote:
>> The WebAPI WG would like to solicit feedback about Event Groups,
>> particularly from implementors. Do Event Groups fill a current
>> need? Are
>> they implemented in your UA, or are you planning to do so? Are
>> they used by
>> authors in the wild? Basically, are there compelling reasons to
>> either keep them or to get rid of
>> them?
>
> The only event groups Gecko implements at the moment are the
> "normal" and "system" event groups.  The bubbling phase in the
> "system" event group is when default actions take place.  This can
> be used by authors of XBL bindings, for example (and is).  Note
> that none of this requires actually exposing the system event group
> per se; there's just an XBL syntax to add listeners in that group
> instead of the "normal" one.

I think this concept of event groups is not the same as the DOM Level
3 Events concept. Event groups in DOM3EV don't result in whole
separate ordered capture and bubble phases. The main effect is that
stopPropagation called in a listener in one group doesn't affect
other groups. However, listeners on a given target all fire before
proceeding to the next step of the bubble/capture phase. Also,
relative ordering of listenrs in different groups are undefined.

Regards,
Maciej