Re: Proposal for mousewheel events

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I'm not sure if the interface given in
> http://www.w3.org/mid/71BB13FE-115D-425F-9045-1BA16629D247@apple.com
> makes sense. What basically bugs is me that we would have two almost the
> same interfaces except for one attribute. If we only need .wheelDelta
> I'd suggest we consider options (a), (b) and (d) from ISSUE-55 unless
> someone has good reasons to go with a new interface instead --
> duplicating most of what MouseEvent currently says.

Why not just do:

   interface MouseWheelEvent: MouseEvent {
     readonly attribute long wheelDelta;
   }

...where |wheelDelta| is a multiple of 120 (positive means rotated away
from user or to the right, negative means rotated towards user or to the
left), and we set |detail| to wheelDelta divided by 120? Backwards
compatible with IE and Safari (and thus with existing content), and
sensible at the same time.

(Issue: In an RTL environment, should it be right/left as well or
left/right instead? I suggest raising this with i18n.)