DOM Events and disabled form controls

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:57:00 +0200
To: public-webapi@w3.org

I wonder which events should be dispatched to disabled form controls?

WebForms2.0 says the following "The default action of a click on a
disabled button is to do nothing." But that is only about default
handling, not about event dispatching; should onclick work in this case:
<input type="button" onclick="alert(event.type);" value="foobar"/>

I haven't found anything related to this problem in DOM Events specs,
or elsewhere. I think onclick can't be dispatched, that would probably
break too many pages, but what about other events and other form
controls than just button?

br,

-Olli