Re: ISSUE-43: change to "common baseline"?

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:36:34 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Would it really break backwards compatibility for ECMA-script
> implementations to change onreadystatechange from being a Function to
> being an EventListener?
>
> A function following the version 1 spec will not take any arguments.
> Such a function should work fine as an EventListener in version 2, it
> just would not get access to the Event object.
>
> Or are you worried about other bindings?

The thing is that web browsers (as in Opera, Firefox, Safari, Internet
Explorer) are not the only browsers that will implement this
specification. For new implementations (SVG viewers for example) it makes
no sense to follow version 1.0 of the specification in the case that
version 2.0 would "contradict" it. Now that doesn't make sense to me.

The specification should just state what should be implemented. If that
isn't the case in some implementations they simply have to be fixed. In
the end we need two conforming implementations anyway. (Or, whatever we
decide for CR exit critera.)

Things like "UAs SHOULD support send() without arguments" are also just no
good for exactly those reasons. It's fine for UAs to be non-conformant to
every part of the specification. Those things are called bugs. Bugs should
not affect the specification imho, only some non-normative appendix on
authoring guidelines. (Sorry for not objecting earlier.)