Re: ACTION-70: Define the scope chain of onFoo events reference issue-1

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:51:15 -0000
To: <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
>> I can't agree this statement, no content authors do that, it's  simply
>> unreliable on the web and has been forever.
>
> I have spent a lot of time fixing Safari to work with sites only  tested
> in one browser, or at best in two. Based on this, I am certain  that
> content authors do this.

I don't understand, because your fixing your user agent to make sites that
only work in one browser work with them, you conclude that the sites were
only tested in that browser?  I don't agree that is a valid conclusion from
the data.

For example, I've written lots of code that I test and know doesn't work in
Safari, I don't do anything about it, because I know it's a marginal browser
for my audience and that will soon be fixed to work - exactly what you're
doing.

Testing and seeing something fail in a UA, and then fixing it are seperate
issues, the cost of the fix may be too high, other than people who are
authoring private pages in a non-professional way (who's script is only
going to be cut+paste anyway)  People test in many UA's, in a huge number of
projects and in online discussions I've never met anyone who doesn't yet is
attempting to be even half serious - that doesn't mean they fix all the bugs
they find of course.  Especially ones where it's obvious the browser will
soon catch up with the de-facto behaviour elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jim.