Re: ACTION-91: mousewheel event

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Here is some text for a mousewheel event per our latest telcon. We decided
>> to postpone discussing multiple directions or multiple input devices for
>> now (ISSUE-33). It is unclear to me whether my action included drafting up
>> the interface or not so I left that out for now...
>>
>>  mousewheel
>>    The mousewheel event MUST be dispatched on the currently
>>    focused object when the user uses his mouse wheel or uses a
>>    device that achieves similar effects as mouse wheels
>>    according to platform conventions or environment
>>    configuration.
>
> The event is dispatched to the primary subject of user interaction
> relative to the input device. This may be the focused event target,
> it may also be some other component of the user interface. Which
> event target exactly depends on platform conventions. For example,
> if a <select> is active, rotating the wheel is likely to scroll the
> list, regardless of where the cursor is; if, on the other hand, a
> simple text <input> is active, the event is dispatched to the event
> target under the cursor.

Which Node to dispatch the event to I think should be left up to the UA.
I previously brought up the example that some mouse drivers will let you
choose if you want to scroll what currently has key-focus or what
currently is under the mouse-pointer. Another example is when you have a
scrollable view inside another scrollable view. In some UAs when you
hover the inner view and "wheel" down that will scroll the inner view
until it is at the bottom and then scroll the outer view.

/ Jonas