Re: No arguments to XMLHttpRequest.send (ACTION-58)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:30:21 -0800
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

So I've been thinking about this a lot and I think the way to go that
would make everybody about as happy is to say something like this:

The function MUST support one argument being passed. Additionally,
implementations SHOULD support the argument as an optional argument and
allow it not to be passed.

(i'm sure there are better ways to phrase those sentences)

The reason i'm arguing about this is not that I want to be able to claim
that firefox supports version 1 of the spec. There are several reasons
that we can't claim, just as no other browser will either. Additionally,
claiming compatibility with any spec is just a matter of how many bugs
you accept.

The reason is simply that I want the version 1 spec to be compatible
with the browsers that are out there. That is something we all agreed
was a goal for the first version of the spec. For now I want people to
add that extra argument, or at least be aware that their code won't work
cross browser if they don't.

/ Jonas