Re: ISSUE-38: Window doesn\'t have alert/confirm/prompt

On Mar 8, 2006, at 7:25 AM, Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-38: Window doesn't have alert/confirm/prompt
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/issues/38
>
> Raised by: Robin Berjon
> On product: Window
>
> The current draft of Window has none of alert, confirm, or prompt,
> yet these can prove quite useful on
> some occasions :)
>
> Were they excluded for a reason, or are they just simple oversights?

These were excluded on purpose from Window 1.0. Window 1.0 attempts
to be narrowly scoped so that it can be written and reviewed
relatively quickly. It also attempts to avoid UI-specific features,
so that it can be implemented in implementations that don't provide
browser-like UI. The main focus of the current spec is to specificy
things required by SVG and CDF in a way that is harmonious with
existing browser implementations.

The intent is to specify more of the common properties of the Window
object in future specs, either new versions of the Window spec, or
possibly a separate specification for methods and properties that are
really specific to typically browser-like user agents.

We did discuss the scoping of the current Window 1.0 draft before and
there weren't any objections.